from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small, heavy, often decorative object that is placed on loose papers to hold them down.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small, decorative, somewhat weighty (and now, highly collectable) object placed on one or more pieces of paper to keep them from fluttering away.
- n. Any object for this purpose.
- n. An otherwise useless piece of equipment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any object used as a weight to prevent loose papers from being displaced by wind, or otherwise.
- n. See under paper, n.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small heavy object used to lay on loose papers to keep them from being scattered; especially, one made for the purpose and somewhat decorative, as a slab or marble, a plate of glass, or the like, with or without a bronze or other figure to serve as a handle, or a mass of glass decorated with various objects inclosed in it, and the like.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a weight used to hold down a stack of papers
paper + weight (Wiktionary)