from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A bright spot sometimes appearing on either side of the sun, often on a luminous ring or halo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bright spot in the sky due to the refraction of the sun’s image by ice crystals.
- n. a reflection or image
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mock sun appearing in the form of a bright light, sometimes near the sun, and tinged with colors like the rainbow, and sometimes opposite to the sun. The latter is usually called an anthelion. Often several mock suns appear at the same time. Cf. paraselene.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An intensification of a circular space in a solar halo, generally in prismatic colors, sometimes dazzlingly bright.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bright spot on the parhelic circle; caused by diffraction by ice crystals
Latin parēlion, from Greek : para-, beside; see para-1 + hēlios, sun; see sāwel- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin parelion, from Ancient Greek παρήλιον, from παρά + ἥλιος ("sun"). (Wiktionary)