from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The coat of a mammal, consisting of hair, fur, wool, or other soft covering, as distinct from bare skin.
- n. Something felt to resemble the coat of a mammal: "The hardwoods were a soft pale green in the dark pelage of the conifers” ( Peter Matthiessen).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. fur, or any other form of the coat of a mammal collectively
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The covering, or coat, of a mammal, whether of wool, fur, or hair.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The hair, fur, wool, or other soft covering of a mammal: a common technical term in zoölogy, used as plumage is with regard to birds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. growth of hair or wool or fur covering the body of an animal
French, from Old French, from peil, pel, hair, from Latin pilus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)