from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An overnight stay; action (or instance) of abiding through the night at a location.
- n. The action (or an instance) of walking about at night, especially as a vigil or watch.
- n. A religious watch kept during normal sleeping hours, during which prayers or other ceremonies are performed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or state of passing the whole night; a remaining all night.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A passing the night in sleeplessness or in watching or prayer; a vigil lasting all night; specifically, in the early Christian ch., a religious vigil held through the entire night immediately previous to a given festival.
- n. A staying out all night.
From Late Latin pernoctātiō ("a spending the night"). (Wiktionary)