from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various North American plants of the genus Phlox, having opposite leaves and flowers with a variously colored salverform corolla.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any flowering plant of the genus Phlox.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of American herbs, having showy red, white, or purple flowers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of ornamental gamopetalous plants of the order Polemoniaceæ, characterized by a deeply three-valved loculicidal capsule, included stamens unequally inserted on the tube of a salver-shaped corolla, and entire leaves.
- n. [lowercase] Any plant of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any polemoniaceous plant of the genus Phlox; chiefly North American; cultivated for their clusters of flowers
Latin, a kind of flame-colored flower, from Greek, flame, wallflower; see bhel-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)