from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to the Pinnipedia, a suborder of carnivorous aquatic mammals that includes the seals, walruses, and similar animals having finlike flippers as organs of locomotion.
- n. A mammal of the suborder Pinnipedia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various large marine mammals belonging to the superfamily (formerly considered a suborder) Pinnipedia comprising walruses, eared seals and earless seals.
- adj. Pertaining to or similar to such a mammal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Pinnipedia; a seal.
- n. One of the Pinnipedes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Fin-footed, in any sense; having feet like fins or flippers. Specifically
- n. A member of the Pinnipedes or Pinnipedia: opposed to fissiped.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. aquatic carnivorous mammal having a streamlined body specialized for swimming with limbs modified as flippers
From New Latin Pinnipedia, order name : Latin pinna, feather; see pinna + Latin pēs, ped-, foot; see -ped.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin pinna ("fin") + pes ("foot") (Wiktionary)