from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tropical American shrub (Euphorbia pulcherrima) that has showy, usually scarlet bracts beneath the small yellow flowerlike inflorescences.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant, Euphorbia pulcherrima, with rather small and insignificant flowers but large brightly coloured leaves.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Mexican shrub (Euphorbia pulcherrima) with very large and conspicuous vermilion bracts below the yellowish flowers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A former genus of American apetalous plants of the order Euphorbiaceæ and tribe Euphorbieæ, how included as a section of the vast genus Euphorbia.
- n. [lowercase] The Euphorbia (Poinsettia) pulcherrima, a plant much cultivated in conservatories.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical American plant having poisonous milk and showy tapering usually scarlet petallike leaves surrounding small yellow flowers
New Latin, after Joel Roberts Poinsett (1779-1851), American diplomat.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
After the obsolete genus name Poinsettia, named after Joel Roberts Poinsett (19th-century US minister to Mexico). (Wiktionary)