from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A spiced drink of hot sweetened milk curdled with wine or ale.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A beverage composed of hot milk curdled by some strong infusion, as by wine, etc.
- v. To curdle; to turn, as milk; to coagulate; as, to posset the blood
- v. To treat with possets; to pamper
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A beverage composed of hot milk curdled by some strong infusion, as by wine, etc., -- much in favor formerly.
- transitive v. To curdle; to turn, as milk; to coagulate.
- transitive v. To treat with possets; to pamper.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A drink composed of hot milk curdled by some infusion, as wine or other liquor, formerly much in favor both as a luxury and as medicine.
- To curdle; coagulate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. sweet spiced hot milk curdled with ale or beer
Middle English poshet, possot : perhaps Old French *posce (Latin pōsca, drink of vinegar and water from potāre, to drink; see potable + Latin esca, food from edere, to eat; see edible) + Middle English hot, hot; see hot.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)