from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thick soup or stew of vegetables and sometimes meat.
- n. Archaic Porridge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thick soup or stew.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of food made by boiling vegetables or meat, or both together, in water, until soft; a thick soup or porridge.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dish consisting of meat boiled to softness in water, usually with vegetables; meat-broth; soup.
- n. Oatmeal or other porridge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stew of vegetables and (sometimes) meat
- n. thick (often creamy) soup
Middle English potage, from Old French, from pot, pot; see potiche.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Anglo-Norman, Old French potage, from pot + -age. (Wiktionary)