from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A medicinal infusion, such as sweetened barley water.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of tisane.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A decoction of barley with other ingredients; a farinaceous drink.
- n. An aqueous medicine, containing little, if any, medicinal agent; a tea or tisane.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mild harmless drink, or one having a slight medicinal quality, as barley-water or herb-tea.
- n. Grape-juice allowed to drain on the slab, without pressure.
Middle English tisane, peeled barley, barley water, from Old French, from Latin ptisana, tisana, from Greek ptisanē, from ptissein, to crush.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)