from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. New England A low, one-horse box sleigh.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A low box-like sleigh designed to be pulled by one horse.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of plain sleigh drawn by one horse; originally, a rude oblong box on runners.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rude form of sleigh consisting of a box-like body placed on runners; any low box-sleigh.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a one-horse sleigh consisting of a box on runners
Short for dialectal tom-pung, from an Algonquian language of southern New England.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Shortened form of tom-pung, from the same Algonquian etymon as "toboggan". (Wiktionary)