from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A representation of a flower with four petals or a leaf with four leaflets, especially in heraldry.
- n. Architecture Tracery or an ornament with four foils or lobes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a symmetrical shape which forms the overall outline of four partially-overlapping circles of the same diameter.
- n. A stylized flower or leaf with four lobes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A leaf with four leaflets, as sometimes that of clover.
- n. In architecture, an opening or a panel divided by cusps or foliations into four foils, or, more correctly, the figure formed by the cusps.
- n. In heraldry, a four-leaved grass, or leaf divided into four leaflets, used as a bearing.
Middle English quaterfoile : Old French quatre, four; see quatrain + Old French foil, leaf; see foil2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)