from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A form of government: a fascist regime.
- n. A government in power; administration: suffered under the new regime.
- n. A prevailing social system or pattern.
- n. The period during which a particular administration or system prevails.
- n. A regulated system, as of diet and exercise; a regimen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Mode of rule or management
- n. A form of government, or the government in power (as in a socialist regime)
- n. A period of rule
- n. A regulated system; a regimen
- n. A set of characteristics
French régime, from Old French, from Latin regimen, from regere, to rule; see reg- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French régime, from Latin regimen ("direction, government"). (Wiktionary)