from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The ridgepole of a roof.
- n. A roof.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A home; household.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The beam in the angle of a roof; hence, the roof itself.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The beam at the ridge of a roof; the ridge-pole.
- n. Hence The roof itself.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a beam laid along the edge where two sloping sides of a roof meet at the top; provides an attachment for the upper ends of rafters
From roof + tree. (Wiktionary)