from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A supporter of government by a monarch.
- n. See cavalier.
- n. An American loyal to British rule during the American Revolution; a Tory.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a monarchist (supporter of monarchy) or supporter of a particular royal régime
- n. a legitimist, a supporter of a particular royal line, especially one in danger of being dispossessed of a throne or actually dispossessed of such, and claiming to have the better claim to the throne on the basis of line of descent; especially:
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An adherent of a king (as of Charles I. in England, or of the Bourbons in france); one attached to monarchical government.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A supporter of a king or of royal government; one who adheres to or upholds the cause of a king against its opponents or assailants.
- n. In American history, an adherent of the British government during the revolutionary period.
- n. In French history, a supporter of the Bourbons as against the revolutionary and subsequent governments.
- Of or pertaining to Royalists or royalism; adhering to or supporting a royal government.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an advocate of the principles of monarchy
- n. a royalist supporter of Charles I during the English Civil War
royal + -ist (Wiktionary)