from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to the suborder Scombroidei, which includes marine fishes such as the mackerel.
- n. A scombroid fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. pertaining to a mackerel
- n. Any fish of the family Scombridae, of which the mackerel (Scomber) is the type.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like or pertaining to the Mackerel family.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A scombroid fish; a scombrid. Also scomberoid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. important marine food and game fishes found in all tropical and temperate seas; some are at least partially endothermic and can thrive in colder waters
New Latin Scombroīdeī, suborder name, from Latin scomber, scombr-, mackerel, from Greek skombros.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Greek σκομβρος ‘tuna, mackerel’. (Wiktionary)