from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The department administered by a governmental secretary, especially for an international organization.
- n. The office occupied by such a department.
- n. The office or position of a governmental secretary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The office or department of a government secretary.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The office of a secretary; the place where a secretary transacts business, keeps records, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as secretariate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. thoroughbred that won the triple crown in 1973
- n. an administrative unit responsible for maintaining records and other secretarial duties; especially for international organizations
French secrétariat, from Old French, from Medieval Latin sēcrētāriātus, from sēcrētārius, secretary; see secretary.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French secrétariat. (Wiktionary)