from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A match, competition, or examination that precedes the final one.
- n. One of the two competitions of the next to the last round in an elimination tournament.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A playoff in the round with only four players or teams left, the stage before the final.
- n. A competition that narrows a field of contestants (semifinalists) to a set of finalists, for a subsequent final.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the two competitions in the next to the last round of an elimination tournament
Latin semifinalis from semi- + final (Wiktionary)