from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gunfight.
- n. A battle between military forces.
- n. Slang A dispute or conflict to settle a disagreement: The marriage ended in a legal shootout.
- n. Sports A high-scoring period or game.
- n. Sports A means of resolving a tie after overtime in soccer and often in hockey, in which five players from each side alternately take individual shots on a goal defended by a goalie.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A decisive battle, especially a gunfight.
- n. penalty shootout
- n. a series of penalty shots during which a tied game is resolved.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fight involving shooting small arms with the intent to kill or frighten
From shoot + out. (Wiktionary)