from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The cardinal number equal to 1024.
- n. Chiefly British The cardinal number equal to 1042.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A trillion trillion: 1 followed by 24 zeros, 1024.
- n. A billion quintillion: 1 followed by 42 zeros, 1042.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. According to the French method of numeration (which is followed also in the United States), the number expressed by a unit with twenty-four ciphers annexed. According to the English method, the number expressed by a unit with forty-two ciphers annexed. See numeration.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the British system of numeration, a million raised to the seventh power; a number expressed by unity followed by forty-two ciphers.
- n. In the French numeration, generally taught in the United States, the eighth power of a thousand; a thousand sextillions.
- n. The cardinal numeral obtained from a septillion: used like hundred.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the number that is represented as a one followed by 24 zeros
French : Latin septem, seven; see septet + French -illion (as in million, million, from Old French milion; see million).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
septi- (“seven”) + -illion (Wiktionary)