from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A knife, razor, or other sharp or pointed implement, especially one used as a weapon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A knife. Usually associated with a makeshift instrument fashioned from something not normally used as a weapon (like a plastic spoon or a toothbrush).
- n. A woody by-product from processing flax or hemp.
- n. A shim, i.e. a small library that transparently intercepts and modifies calls to an API, usually for compatibility purposes.
- v. To stab someone with a shiv.
- v. By extension, to stab someone with anything not intended as a stabbing weapon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a knife used as a weapon
Probably Romany chiv, blade.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
First attested 1665–1675, probably from Romani chiv ("blade"). (Wiktionary)