from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small rocky reef or island.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small rocky island which may be covered by the sea at high tide or during storms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A rocky isle; an insulated rock.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rocky isle; an insulated rock; a reef.
- n. A loose angular fragment of rock; rubble; slither; ratchel.
Scots, diminutive of Old Norse sker; see sker-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From dialectal Scots (Shetlandic and Orcadian) skerry, from Old Norse sker (whence Danish skær, Scottish Gaelic sgeir). (Wiktionary)