from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or sport of skiing in a zigzag course.
- n. A race on skis or in vehicles along such a course, laid out with markers such as flags.
- intransitive v. To race in or as if in a slalom.
- intransitive v. To waterski using a single ski designed so the feet are secured one behind the other.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The sport of skiing in a zigzag course through gates. (Often used attributively)
- n. Any similar activity on other vehicles, including canoes and water skis.
- n. A course used for the sport of slalom.
- n. A race or competition wherein participants each perform the sport of slalom.
- v. To race in a slalom.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a downhill race over a winding course defined by upright poles
- v. race on skis around obstacles
Norwegian slalåm : slad, sloping + låm, path.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Norwegian sla ("steep, hill side") and låm ("trail"). (Wiktionary)