from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An acrobatic stunt in which the body rolls forward or backward in a complete revolution with the knees bent and the feet coming over the head. Also called somerset; also called regionally tumbleset.
- n. A complete reversal, as of sympathies or opinions.
- intransitive v. To execute a somersault.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In gymnastics, an act where the gymnast turns head over heels
- v. To perform a somersault.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A leap in which a person turns his heels over his head and lights upon his feet; a turning end over end.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A spring or fling in which a person turns heels over head; a complete turn in the air, such as is performed by tumblers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an acrobatic feat in which the feet roll over the head (either forward or backward) and return
- v. do a somersault
Obsolete French sombresault, variant of sobresault, from Old Provençal sobresaut : sobre-, above (from Latin suprā) + saut, leap (from Latin saltus, from past participle of salīre, to leap).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)