from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The ground squirrel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A terrestrial burrowing rodent; ground squirrel
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any ground squirrel of the genus Spermophilus; a gopher. See Illust. under gopher.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rodent quadruped of the genus Spermophilus, as a ground-squirrel or suslik, of which there are numerous species in Europe, Asia, and North America. See cuts under suslik and Spermophilus.
- n. A fringilline bird of the genus Spermophila; a little seed-eater, of which there are numerous Central and South American species. See cut under grassquit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various terrestrial burrowing rodents of Old and New Worlds; often destroy crops
From spermo- + -phile, hence, "seed-lover". (Wiktionary)