from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of stepping stone.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A stone to raise the feet above the surface of water or mud in walking.
- n. Fig.: A means of progress or advancement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A raised stone in a stream or in a swampy place designed to save the feet in walking.
- n. A horse-block.
- n. An aid or means by which an end may be accomplished or an object gained; an assistance to progress.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stone in a marsh or shallow water that can be stepped on in crossing
- n. any means of advancement
Sorry, no etymologies found.