from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Chiefly British The ermine, especially when in its brown color phase.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Mustela erminea, the ermine or short-tailed weasel, a mustelid native to Eurasia and North America, distinguished from the least weasel by its larger size and longer tail with a prominent black tip.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The ermine in its summer pelage, when it is reddish brown, but with a black tip to the tail. The name is sometimes applied also to other brown weasels.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The ermine, Putorius erminea, and other members of that genus when not specified by distinctive names. See ermine, weasel, mink, fitchew, polecat, ferrer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the ermine in its brown summer coat with black-tipped tail
Middle English stote.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)