from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A valve that regulates the flow of fluid through a pipe; a faucet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A valve, tap or faucet which regulates the flow of liquid or gas through a pipe.
- n. A main shutoff for water to a home from a municipal supply. Usually these valves exist in pairs, on outside the property boundary and one inside the property boundary.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A bib, faucet, or short pipe, fitted with a turning stopper or plug for permitting or restraining the flow of a liquid or gas; a cock or valve for checking or regulating the flow of water, gas, etc., through or from a pipe, etc.
- n. The turning plug, stopper, or spigot of a faucet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A faucet with a valve of some form, operated by a handle: used to open or close a pipe or passage for water, gas, etc. Such cocks are sometimes made self-closing, to prevent waste.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. faucet consisting of a rotating device for regulating flow of a liquid
From stop + cock. (Wiktionary)