from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Scottish dance, slower than a reel, for two dancers.
- n. The music for this dance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Scottish dance with gliding steps, slower than a reel.
- n. A piece of music composed for or in the rhythm of this dance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lively Scottish dance, resembling the reel, but slower; also, the tune.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Scotch dance, invented early in the eighteenth century, resembling the reel, but slower, and marked by numerous sudden jerks.
- n. Music for such a dance or in its rhythm, which is duple, moderately rapid, and abounding in the rhythmic or metric figure called the Scotch snap or catch (which see, under Scotch), or its converse.
After Strath Spey, valley of the river Spey in Scotland.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
After Strathspey, valley of the river Spey. (Wiktionary)