from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The study of rock strata, especially the distribution, deposition, and age of sedimentary rocks.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of rock layers and the layering process (stratification).
- n. the layering of deposits, with newer remains overlaying older ones, forming a chronology of the site.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That branch of geology which treats of the arrangement and succession of strata.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In geology, order and position of the stratified groups; all that part of geological science which is not specially theoretical or paleontological; general descriptive geology.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of geology that studies the arrangement and succession of strata
Sorry, no etymologies found.