from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that succeeds another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person or thing that immediately follows another in holding an office or title.
- n. The next heir in order or succession.
- n. A person who inherits a title or office.
- n. The integer or cardinal immediately following another.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who succeeds or follows; one who takes the place which another has left, and sustains the like part or character; -- correlative to predecessor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which succeeds or follows; one who takes the place which another has left, and sustains the like part or character: correlative to predecessor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a thing or person that immediately replaces something or someone
- n. a person who inherits some title or office
- n. a person who follows next in order
Sorry, no etymologies found.