from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See rutabaga.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The fleshy yellow root of a variety of rape, Brassica napus, resembling a large turnip, grown as a vegetable.
- n. The plant from which this is obtained.
- n. The turnip.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A native or inhabitant of Sweden.
- n. A Swedish turnip. See under Turnip.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A native of Sweden, a kingdom of Europe which occupies the eastern part of the Scandinavian peninsula. Since 1814 it has been united with Norway under a common sovereign.
- n. [cap. or lowercase] A Swedish turnip.
- n. A cannon consisting of a thin metal tube wound around with rope and covered with leather.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the large yellow root of a rutabaga plant used as food
- n. a native or inhabitant of Sweden
- n. a cruciferous plant with a thick bulbous edible yellow root
From its introduction from Sweden.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the earlier term Swedish turnip, because the Swedes introduced the plant to the English in the 1700s. (Wiktionary)