from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large spoon used for serving food.
- n. A household cooking measure equal to 3 teaspoons, or 1/2 fluid ounce (15 milliliters). See Table at measurement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large spoon, used for eating food from a bowl.
- n. A spoon too large for eating, usually used for cooking or serving.
- n. A unit of volume, the value of which varies regionally; in the US: three teaspoons or roughly 15 ml; in Britain and Canada: exactly 15 ml; in Australia: four teaspoons or 20 ml.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A spoon of the largest size commonly used at the table; -- distinguished from teaspoon, dessert spoon, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A spoon, larger than a teaspoon or dessert-spoon, used in the service of the table.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a spoon larger than a dessert spoon; used for serving
- n. as much as a tablespoon will hold
From table + spoon. (Wiktionary)