from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tight-fitting Scottish cap or braided bonnet, sometimes having a pompon, tassel, or feather in the center.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A traditional Scottish wool hat, with a bobble in the centre.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of Scotch cap of wool, worsted, or the like, having a round, flattish top much wider than the band which fits the head, and usually having a tassel in the center.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as braid bonnet (which see, under bonnet); also, a lighter head-dress of the same general shape.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woolen cap of Scottish origin
After the hero of "Tam o' Shanter,” a poem by Robert Burns.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the eponymous hero of Burns's poem Tom of Shanter. (Wiktionary)