from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Mexican dish made of chopped meat and crushed peppers, highly seasoned, wrapped in cornhusks spread with masa, and steamed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Mexican dish of cornmeal dough shell filled with various ingredients (e.g. chopped beef, pork, sweet filling) then steamed in corn husks.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Mexican dish made of crushed corn (cornmeal) mixed with minced meat, seasoned with red pepper, dipped in oil, and steamed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. corn and cornmeal dough stuffed with a meat mixture then wrapped in corn husks and steamed
- n. a city in northern Ghana
From American Spanish tamales, pl. of tamal, tamale, from Nahuatl tamalli.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Back-formation from plural tamales, from Spanish tamales, plural of tamal, from Nahuatl tamalli ("wrapped"). (Wiktionary)