from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tarmacadam road or surface, especially an airport runway.
- transitive v. To cause (an aircraft) to sit on a taxiway.
- intransitive v. To sit on a taxiway. Used of an aircraft.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The bituminous surface of a road.
- n. Area of an airport where planes park or maneuver.
- v. To pave
- v. To spend time idling on a runway, usually waiting for takeoff clearance
Originally a trademark.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Shortening of tarmacadam, which is tar + macadam (crushed stones). (Wiktionary)