from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A painting medium in which pigment is mixed with water-soluble glutinous materials such as size or egg yolk. Also called poster color, poster paint.
- n. Painting done in this medium.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A medium used to bind pigments in painting, as well as the associated artistic techniques.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mode or process of painting; distemper.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In painting, same as distemper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pigment mixed with water-soluble glutinous materials such as size and egg yolk
Italian, from temperare, to mingle, from Latin temperāre; see temper.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)