from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of third quality or value, especially of less quality or value than second-rate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a sailing warship that can be described with the adjective "third-rate"
- adj. of lesser value or quality than second-rate
- adj. describing a British ship-of-the-line with 64 to 80 guns divided onto two gun decks.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of the third rate or order. For the specific naval use, see rate, n., 8.
- Hence Of a distinctly inferior rank, grade, or quality: as, a third-rate hotel; a third-rate actor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of lesser quality than second-rate
Sorry, no etymologies found.