from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Surgical incision of the trachea through the neck, as to make an artificial opening for breathing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A surgical procedure in which an incision is made into the trachea, through the neck, and a tube inserted so as to make an artificial opening in order to assist breathing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The operation of making an opening into the windpipe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery, the operation of making an opening into the trachea or windpipe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a surgical operation that creates an opening into the trachea with a tube inserted to provide a passage for air; performed when the pharynx is obstructed by edema or cancer or other causes
From trachea + -otomy (Wiktionary)