from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Relating to, living on, or coming from the other side of the Alps, especially as viewed from Italy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. On the other side of the Alps (with respect to Rome, therefore the north side).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being on the farther side of the Alps in regard to Rome, that is, on the north or west side of the Alps; of or pertaining to the region or the people beyond the Alps; ; -- opposed to
- n. A native or inhabitant of a country beyond the Alps, that is, out of Italy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being or situated beyond the Alps, especially from Rome: as, transalpine Gaul: opposed to cisalpine. Compare transmontane.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of a country beyond the Alps, generally with reference to Rome.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. on or relating to or characteristic of the region or peoples beyond the Alps from Italy (or north of the Alps)
- n. one living on or coming from the other side of the Alps from Italy
Sorry, no etymologies found.