from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Situated on the other side of a bridge.
- adj. Similar to or characteristic of melodramas once performed in London theaters located south of the Thames River.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or situated on the far side of a bridge
- adj. Of, or pertaining to the sensational melodramas presented on the south side of the Thames in the 19th century or earlier.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Situated or existing across or beyond a bridge; specifically, belonging to the part of London lying on the Surrey side of the Thames: applied to the Surrey and Victoria theaters, at which cheap melodrama was formerly popular, and hence, in London theatrical parlance, to any play of a cheap, melodramatic character.
Sorry, no etymologies found.