from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A soft felt hat with a deeply creased crown.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A narrow-brimmed felt hat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A foot: from the beautiful left foot of the heroine of Du Maurier's story ‘Trilby,’ of which it was said that there was only one in Paris to match it and that was Trilby's other foot.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hat made of felt with a creased crown
- n. singer in a novel by George du Maurier who was under the control of the hypnotist Svengali
After the novel Trilby by George du Maurier (because such a hat was worn in the original London stage production based on the novel).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the stage adaptation of George du Maurier's novel Trilby, in which such hats were worn. (Wiktionary)