from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various colorful tropical or subtropical birds of the family Trogonidae, which includes the quetzal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several species of bird, most of which live in Central and South America, have colorful feathers, and nest in holes in trees.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of numerous species of beautiful tropical birds belonging to the family Trogonidæ. They are noted for the brilliant colors and the resplendent luster of their plumage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of birds, type of the family Trogonidæ, formerly conterminous with the same, subsequently variously restricted.
- n. [lowercase] Any bird of the genus Trogon in a broad sense, as a curucui or quetzal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. forest bird of warm regions of the New World having brilliant lustrous plumage and long tails
Greek trōgōn, present participle of trōgein, to gnaw; see terə-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)