from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A kind of medieval torture device, later associated with a cucking-stool.
- n. A cart which opens at the back to release its load.
- n. A cart used to carry condemned prisoners to their death, especially to the guillotine during the French Revolution.
- n. A basket or cage of osiers, willows, or the like, to hold hay and other food for sheep.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a farm dumpcart for carrying dung; carts of this type were used to carry prisoners to the guillotine during the French Revolution
From Old French tumberel (in Anglo-Latin tumberellus), from tomber, tumber ("to fall"). (Wiktionary)