from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In or of the month before the present one: on the 15th ultimo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. On the last day (of a specified month).
- adv. Of last month.
- n. = ultimum
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- In the month immediately preceding the present; ; -- usually abbreviated to ult. Cf. proximo.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In the month which preceded the present; in the last month, as distinguished from the current or present month and all others.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. in or of the month preceding the present one
Latin ultimō (mēnse), in the last (month), ablative of ultimus, last; see ultimate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
First attested in 1582; from the Latin ultimō (elliptically for ultimō diē or ultimō mēnse), masculine ablative singular form of ultimus ("last"); cognate with Dutch ultimo, the German ultimo, the Swedish ultimo, etc. (Wiktionary)
First attested in 1622; from either the Italian ultimo, or the Portuguese ultimo, or the Spanish ultimo; compare ultime. (Wiktionary)