from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sentimental or humorous greeting card sent to a sweetheart, friend, or family member, for example, on Saint Valentine's Day.
- n. A gift sent as a token of love to one's sweetheart on Saint Valentine's Day.
- n. A person singled out especially as one's sweetheart on Saint Valentine's Day.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An expression of affection, especially romantic affection, usually in the form of greeting card, gift, or message given to a person the object of affection, especially on February 14th.
- n. A person to whom a valentine is given or received, especially on February 14th.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sweetheart chosen on St. Valentine's Day.
- n. A letter containing professions of love, or a missive of a sentimental, comic, or burlesque character, sent on St. Valentine's Day.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sweetheart or choice made On St. Valentine's dav.
- n. A letter or missive sent by one person to another of the opposite sex on St. Valentine's day; a written or printed or painted missive of an amatory or a satirical kind, generally sent anonymously.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sweetheart chosen to receive a greeting on Saint Valentine's Day
- n. a card sent or given (as to a sweetheart) on Saint Valentine's Day
After Saint Valentine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Saint Valentine's Day ("day of celebration of romantic love") (Wiktionary)