from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A circular arrangement, as of flowers, leaves, or hairs, growing about a central point; a whorl.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A whorl, a group of similar parts such as leaves radiating from a shared axis
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A circle either of leaves or flowers about a stem at the same node; a whorl.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a whorl: applied to organs, as leaves or tlowers, that are disposed in a circle or ring around an axis.
- n. In zoology, a whorl, or circular set of parts radiating from an axis: as, a verticil of hairs, tentacles, or processes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a whorl of leaves growing around a stem
Latin verticillus, the whorl of a spindle, diminutive of vertex, vertic-, highest point; see vertex.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin verticillum (Wiktionary)