from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A light pastry shell filled with a ragout of meat or fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a small canapé - circular pieces of puff pastry with a small hole which accommodates various fillings, such as mushrooms, prawns, fruit, cheese, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A light puff paste, with a raised border, filled, after baking, usually with a ragout of fowl, game, or fish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sort of raised pie consisting of a delicate preparation of meat, fowl, or fish inclosed in a case of rich light puffpaste.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. puff paste shell filled with a savory meat mixture usually with a sauce
French : vol, flight + au, with the + vent, wind.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French vol-au-vent ("windblown") literally, "flight in the wind" (Wiktionary)