from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A wavering sound produced by alternately covering and uncovering the bell of a trumpet or trombone with a mute.
- n. A similar sound produced by means of an electronic attachment, as on an electric guitar, operated by a foot pedal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Modifying the resonance of musical notes to produce the effect of a human voice.
- n. A wavering sound produced by means of a movable mute or by electronic means
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Bornean gibbon, Hylobates leuciscus. The name is used as a book-name and is frequently applied to other species of gibbons.
Imitative.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)