from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A band of material encircling and fitting the waist of a garment, such as trousers or a skirt.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A band of fabric encircling the waist, especially a part of a pair of pants or a skirt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The band which encompasses the waist; esp., one on the upper part of breeches, trousers, pantaloons, skirts, or the like.
- n. A sash worn by women around the waist.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A band meant to encircle the waist, especially such a band forming part of a garment and serving to stiffen or maintain it: as, the waistband of a skirt.
- n. A separate or outer girdle or belt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a band of material around the waist that strengthens a skirt or trousers
Sorry, no etymologies found.